Recovery included steps forward and back. She was getting upgraded, but had a stroke. Talking better, seeing worse.
2023-02-25 to 03-03 - Steps forward and back. Upgraded, but had a stroke. Talking better, seeing worse.
- The Second week was a lot of milestones and steps forward
- You could talk to her at times, but the TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) meant she could kind of focus on only one thing at a time. So if she was in pain, that's all she could talk about. Completely reasonable one minute, almost angry toddler the next. (and she was having neuropathy).
- They took her off a big nose vent, to a little oxygen tube, then nothing, and upgraded her out of the CCU to a regular room.
- Her memory was now lasting over a day (or two).
- Her limb control was hit and miss. She'd say she couldn't move it, then would. (Especially when she wasn't paying attention).
- I was getting more freaked out about her vision. Like her limb control, sometimes she could see you, sometimes she couldn't. And it was hard to figure out if she could see at all. (She would track, then wouldn't).
- There were also halucinations (which at first we thought she was talking of dreams, before we realized she meant she could see it "right now"). She was saying things like how big the space she was in, but we thought that was part of the stroke or TBI to be spacially disoriented -- turned out it was halucination. She literally thought she was in a mall or parking structure.
- Her speech was started one word at a time, and it started slow (and she'd drop off last sylable) -- and if she missed something, she'd start over completely. Then she started getting better, but over-annunciating everything to compensate. Later on, it turned to complete sentences and a little mumbly but intelligible and in her voice.
- Her friends were visiting (Mandy, Carrie, etc) and she was sometimes was very good with them. But if she was in pain (often), she went back into inconsolable mode.
- Then by late in the week they moved her from Cardiology to Neurology. Figured out that she's had a stroke (as well as the Anoxic Brain Injury) -- did a brain angeogram (it was way to low to get it with grabbers, and too late to try tPA). But conversations were much more fluid by then.
Journal[edit | edit source]
Day 8[edit source]
Main article: 2023 Heart Attack/Day 8
2023-02-25 (Saturday) - Mary took over. Not a good day, but some progress.
Melissa woke up pissed!
Melissa got off the bigger NIV vent
Her friend Mandy came by to visit.
Day 9[edit source]
Main article: 2023 Heart Attack/Day 9
2023-02-26 (Sunday) - Upgraded, Visits, and a really good day.
Chatty Kathy (Melissa).
Mandy and Theresa visited
Day 10[edit source]
Main article: 2023 Heart Attack/Day 10
|2023-02-27 (Monday) Word of the day, "Horrendous", progressing in everything. Except comfort. Started cranky and unfocussed, but got better as the day progressed.
Day 11[edit source]
Main article: 2023 Heart Attack/Day 11
|2023-02-28 (Tuesday) She starts the day uncomfortable. She's used to movement, and frustrated.
- Her mood control isn't great.
- Short term memory is getting better, but has gone from 15 minutes to about a day (doesn't remember yesterday).
- She just wants to come home, and her life back, and to do the things she used to do, "Help me to the bathroom", "Take me home", "Help me walk the floor". And you keep watching with heartbreak, that she can't.
- There's also some confusions on whether she can see. She keeps saying "can't see", and isn't focusing on you/etc... then she seems to respond like she can see shapes and colors at least. But couldn't read someone's badge up close. So lots more to explore there.
Day 12[edit source]
Main article: 2023 Heart Attack/Day 12
|2023-03-01 (Wednesday) - Neuropathy, Visits, Moved from Cardiac to Neurological unit.
- Running-Rebecca - The start of the visit was rough, because Melissa was in pain and focused on it -- but pain meds helped and she got to see a little of Melissa. Like her getting pissed and saying, "Dave, shut the fuck up!" (Someone wasn't happy about the pain).
- Heart-Rebecca was going to visit. But didn't come down when she'd asked status and it wasn't a good day (and they were saying they were going to do the MRI, again). She'll try again later.
- Sigrid came -- and since she works with TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) got to see how much progress Melissa has made since last visit. And she did progress, though she caught the vision issues, and has concerns there.
- Mirna visited as well, and was just happy with how much better Melissa is; speech, strength, color, has an oxygen tube, but doens't need it. They wouldn't have moved her out of the cardiac until until she was strong enough. And they did.
Day 13[edit source]
Main article: 2023 Heart Attack/Day 13
|2023-03-02 (Thurs) - Neuropathy, MRI, Bright Light, and Memorial Hermann TIRR.
Melissa is not a fan of Neuropathy pain
Day 14[edit source]
Main article: 2023 Heart Attack/Day 14
|2023-03-03 (Friday) - stroke, angeogram, heart scare, and a lot of Melissa's personality.
Great interaction today
Tags: 2023 Heart Attack/Weeks