The Cliven Bundy claim is correct. The Meme oversimplifies it, and it's much messier and less clear.
~ Aristotle Sabouni
- In 2014 the government tried to forcibly take a cattleman's land over grazing dispute.
- The grazing dispute was an unforced error, where the Clinton admin had started their authoritarian crackdowns, and changed the status quote.
- The cattleman and his neighbors, armed with the same weaponry as the federal officers, stopped the government from doing so and took his case to the highest of courts.
- In January 2018 a Supreme Court Judge ruled the government was in the wrong and the cattleman and his neighbors were justified in their actions.
- That cattleman was Cliven Bundy. His case was silent in the news because it proves the importance of having such guns and proves the importance of the 2A.
This is true, but I need to add a lot more facts/color to this. This had to do with multiple other cases, the government abusing power, shooting his kid, withholding evidence, and so on. There should have been prosecutorial misconduct -- but the Lawyers (judges) protected their own).
There's also room for debate about whether guns made it better or worse. It certainly escalated and bought time. In the end, the governemnt was wrong early on, they were wrong later on, and behaved horribly. And without the standoff, they just would have ruined the rancher... and I have a hard time thinking that was the better outcome.
Good guys with guns[edit source]
Main article: Good guys with guns
Tags: Guns Gun Control GGWG